Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Blown Steers

What a morning. Greetings from Oklahoma City, OK. How is everyone doing? I pray that everyone is in good health and spirits. My morning has been very eventful. Yesterday I picked up a load of fiberboard in Fordyce, AR. I was running by the house and stopped at the house for the night. My plan was to leave the house at 0500 and deliver at 0700. Well, that didn't happen. I only got a few miles from the house and my steer tires blew. At first I didn't know what happened. I felt a "thump" heard some grinding and the steering felt weird. I immediatly let up off the accelerater, turned on my flashers and lightly applied my brakes as I always do when something seems to be wrong. As I was coming to a stop (which took forever) I thought to myself, "Don't tell me my steer tire blew." I had never blown a steer before so this was a new experience for me. To add to the fun, I am in the road on a small state road and no house near by. I have no cell phone to call for help and can't leave the truck unattended in the road. People fly down this road and I was affraid that, even with my lights on and flashers, someone would rear end me. Fortunatly someone drove by and called John who lives up the road from where I live and is a Sheriff. He showed up about a hour and half after I broke down and let me use his cell phone to call Glen's Deisle and Frontier Leasing. He then stayed to direct traffic until help came and my truck tire was repaired. I am very fortunate. When the steer tire blew I was on a back road so I was going at a slower speed and the road was straight. If I was doing 70 or if the road had curves then things may have been a lot worse. I thank God that the blow out happened when it did. If the blow out accured just a minute earlier then I would have been in a ditch. The load I was carrying shifted a little but nothing serious and it wasn't damaged. Another good thing.

I am currently at Kenworth in Oklahoma City. When the tire blew it damaged an airline to the brake on the right steer. It was OK to go ahead and make my delivery to Fox in Oklahoma City and to pick up my load for Dodge City, KS. But it is something I will need to have the airline fixed before I go to far. I will then head up to Dodge City, KS.

Well, not much more going on. I will go ahead and end this blog so I can get it sent off. Take care and God Bless.

Love,
The Oklahoma Tomcat
http://joneshomestead.tripod.com/
"In general the best teacher or care-giver cannot match a parent of even ordinary education and experience."
~ Dr. Raymond Moore


------------------------------
Sent via PocketMail
Email Anywhere
www.pocketmail.com

No comments: