Saturday, June 9, 2007

York, PA

Greetings from York, PA. How is everyone doing? I pray that this message finds everyone in good health and spirits.

Everything is going good out here. Jacob is doing very well and is on track to being released from training ontime. I just have to go over Hazardous Material and How to put chaines on the tires and the laws in differant states related to chaining tires. This is his last week and he can't wait to get home. He likes truck driving a lot. He has desel in his blood. I can see it. They say that truck driving is either going to be something that is in your blood and you love it or it is something you will hate. You know within a few months weither this is your type of work or not. Truck Driving is a lot like the military in the fact that it isn't just a job, it is a lifestyle. Probably explains why so many people who leaves the military goes into trucking.

We are currently sitting at the docks of Conagra Foods in York, PA getting unloaded. We delivered to JC Penneys in Breinig, PA last night and then picked this load up at our terminal in Carlisle, PA. this morning. Not sure where we are going next.

In the past few months I have noticed more people doing something extreamly dangerous and it boothers me. More and more automobile drivers are cuting extreamly close in front of me while going down the freeway. I am talking about changing lanes and getting very close in front of me. One woman changed lanes in front of me and was so close that I couldn't see her bumper. And what do I see looking out the back window (not wearing seatbelts or in car seats) but three young children. I thanked God that she didn't slowdown.

This bothers me because of my love for all human life. I know it would be hard for me to recover if I was to hit someone and they would die. If a truck weighing 80,000 lbs going 65 mph hits a car, their is a very good chance that someone in the car would die. That is the responsibility that rests on us truck drivers shoulders. I know their are some crazy truck drivers out here, but most do take this responsibility seriously and never wants to be involved in an accident. That is why I am bringing this subject up. The next time you are driving around a tractor trailer think about how long it takes for one to stop. The speed and distance I give you below is for a truck weighing 80,000 lbs and with a young, healthy driver with good reaction time. Don't beleive anyone who tells you that a truck driver can stop a truck faster by pulling his air brakes. First of all, it will not stop the truck faster and second, a good driver will not pull his air brakes because it is dang!
erous and can cause a huge accident and take many more lives.

At 10 mph a truck will travel 60.9 feet before it comes to a complete stop.

At 25 mph a truck will travel 156.88 feet before it comes to a complete stop.

At 55 mph a truck will travel 504 feet before it comes to a complete stop.

At 65 mph a truck will travel 636.5 feet before it comes to a complete stop.

So please, when you pass a truck on the freeway, make sure you get far enough ahead of it before moving back into the right lane. Also, make sre you use your blinkers. Truck drivers will slow up if he knows you are coming back into the right lane and he feels you are still too close.

I love you all and want you to be safe. Take care and God Bless.

Love,
The Oklahoma Tomcat
http://joneshomestead.tripod.com
"I think Earth is the Alabama of the Universe." Kathleen Madigan

Jones Family Homestead Yahoo Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jonesfamilyhomestead/

You can now sign up for a free webbased joneshomestead e-mail account at http://joneshomestead.tripod.com.

------------------------------
Refer-A-Friend to PocketMail today and a receive $50 in service or $25 in CASH!

No comments: